The Kauer Block featured a two-story brick building with molded brick cornices that housed two storefronts on the main floor and two residences on the second floor. The building was designed by Denver architect F.C. Eberly and built by August Kauer in 1899. Kauer occupied one of the second floor residences.
In 1903, the Littleton Independent featured a picture of this building and described it as “one of Littleton’s leading structures.” Kauer had a meat market in the east storefront, and he made sausage and cured meat in the basement. He rented out the west storefront. City directories show Kauer and his meat market still at this location in 1905 along with the Caley Grocery store. (W.H. Caley was an attorney who served as the Littleton town attorney in 1908–1909.) A meat market and grocery store stayed in this building through 1932.
Later, drugstores moved in to Kauer Block. By 1939, a drugstore was in the corner storefront with Moore’s Grocery in the west storefront. Sell 4 Less Drug—a popular gathering place—was in the east storefront for about 40 years from 1942–1983. That drugstore featured a soda fountain, veterinary supplies, and racing forms for betting on horses at the Centennial Racetrack. The old-time soda fountain was carefully removed and relocated but the whereabouts are unknown. The façade was restored in 2007.
The Kauer Block was added to the Littleton Main Street Historic District as a contributing building in 2005. It was listed as a contributing structure on the Littleton Main Street National Register of Historic Places District on April 8, 1998.