The Bussard Motor Company building has been associated with the history of automobile-related businesses from when it was built in 1929 until it was rehabilitated into part of the ViewHouse restaurant in 2016.
In 1932, the 2680 W. Main St. building was the location of the Bussard Motor Company. By 1939, it housed the Stephenson Motor Company. C.E. Stephenson was the owner of a Dodge-Plymouth dealership and had operated an auto business in Littleton since 1915. Active in the community, Stephenson was Littleton’s mayor from 1926–1928, chief of the fire department, and president of the Littleton Optimists. Stephenson operated this dealership until 1941, when Roth-Burk Motor Company (later Roth Motor Company) opened a Chrysler-Plymouth dealership.
Roth Motor Company operated the Chrysler-Plymouth dealership and also sold Hillman and Sunbeam English cars at the site until 1958. Roth then operated a dealership for Studebaker and International Scouts at this site. When Roth Motors closed in 1965, it was the last auto dealership still operating on Main Street. At one time, Main Street boasted eight new car dealerships, including one that employed 23 car salesmen. The most recent auto-related business at this location was Vintage Body Tech & Collison, which specialized in restoring cars of all ages; it closed in 2016.
The Bussard Motor Company building reflects auto dealership construction of the early 20th century though its brick walls, stepped parapet, large garage entrance, and display windows. As was typical of this type of utilitarian building, the interior consisted of a large open area created with metal bow trusses that spanned the building. The stepped parapet hides the curved roof, which also had numerous sky lights providing natural light to the interior.
The ViewHouse rehabilitation combined the western side of the Blue Ribbon Stables with the Bussard Motor Company building. During renovations, a large second floor addition (above the original roof line) was added to the Bussard Motors portion of the building. The addition was sympathetic to the original building design, retaining the original open layout and restoring the roof planking, skylights, and bow trusses.
The Bussard Motor Company was added to the Littleton Main Street Historic District in 2011 as a contributing building.