Built around 1932, the building at 2516 W. Main St. in Downtown Littleton was originally a laundry. Rudolph Lemcke purchased the building c1936 for his meat market, and Lemcke’s Meat Market became a fixture on Main Street for the next 50 years. Rudolph was its proprietor and he did everything from processing deer to selling pizza. He expanded the building towards the back of the lot c1939 and again in 1943. Around 1968, Lemcke remodeled the front façade and installed a more modern red stone brick, which was mortared between the original upright brick columns.
The building’s entrance is off center with a brick pier dividing the space. The glass-and-wood entry door is inset from the façade. Next to the entrance is a single plate glass window with clerestory; four windows are placed on the other side of the brick pier. Under the storefront windows are courses of Roman brick that act as a kickplate. The façade has basically retained its original form. Rudolph was a city leader and his meat market represented the last of a dying craft in Littleton. He retired around 1985 and lived to be 100.
In 1986, the building housed the Two Potters, a pottery manufacturing and sales business. The Two Potters owners were the first Downtown Littleton business to apply to the Colorado Historical Society (now History Colorado) and the City of Littleton for matching grant money for historic preservation work. By 2005, the Ancient Art Health Center, a business dedicated to health and balance through holistic medicine, had purchased this site. In 2011, the building was remodeled and a second-floor was added.
The Lemcke Meat Market was designated a local Historic Landmark by the City of Littleton in 1993; added to the Littleton Main Street Historic District as a contributing building in 2005; and listed as a contributing building on the Littleton Main Street National Register of Historic Places District on April 8, 1998.
Learn more about Lemcke Meat Market here: Lemcke Meat Market, littletongov.org.