The Abbott Building is one of the earliest commercial establishments built on Littleton’s Main Street that is still standing. The Italian Renaissance–style building was notable for its second story oriel windows, which made it a prominent Littleton landmark.
Mr. C.D. Abbott built the structure in 1890 on his commercial lot on Main Street. Initially, he leased part to Rogers, the tinner, and the other part to the Gazette newspaper. By 1893, the building was divided into two stores with a meat market on the west side, a drugstore on the east side, and living rooms in the back. A variety of tenants occupied the structure over the decades, but the drugstore stayed there for at least the first 30 years. Robert Swanson operated a jewelry and stationery store at this site, starting in 1913 and continuing for many decades until Woodlawn Shopping Center was built in 1956. During the Depression, Robert noted that many people traded food for watch repairs.
At some point in the 1930s or 1940s, all the windows were removed, the storefronts were modernized, and the brick was covered with stucco—thereby eliminating all of the building’s original architectural splendor. Fortunately, the new owner landmarked the building in 2001 and undertook a complete restoration of the façade in 2003, returning it close to its original splendor.
The Abbott Building was added to the Littleton Main Street Historic District in 2005.