The building at 5728 S. Rapp St. was erected in 1872. It is the oldest building in Littleton still in its original location, and it first served as the original post office and general store. The building features wood clapboards, a gabled roof, and three corbelled brick chimneys evenly spaced out along the roof. In 1965, the Littleton Historical Society helped rehabilitate the building by adding shutters, the porch, and the shed roof. The original second floor windows are still in place.
J.D. worked at the Rough and Ready Flour Mill before opening his store. He became the postmaster in 1880 and also partnered with the historic First National Bank for a time. The upstairs of the building held a meeting hall, which was used as Littleton’s Town Hall before construction of the historic Town Hall building on Main Street. In 1872, Weston Masonic Lodge of Littleton was formed here. In addition, the hall was used as a church by Catholic, Methodist, and Christian Science congregations before they built their own places of worship. Owner Jack Janowitz and the Littleton Historical Society rehabilitated the building.
This J.D. Hill General Store building was the primary visual entryway when entering Downtown Littleton from the west. It was the first building people noticed, and it let them know they were entering a pioneering Colorado town. The building still welcomes visitors entering the City from Santa Fe Drive/Danny Dietz Memorial Highway and it has housed various retail shops and businesses.
The J.D. Hill Store was added to the Littleton Main Street Historic District as a contributing building in 2005.
Learn more about J.D. Hill here: Hill Family, littletongov.org.