The Columbine Mill, built in 1901 at 5798 S. Rapp St., is one of the few standing grain elevators in the Denver Metro area. At 75 feet, the mill is the tallest building and a significant landmark in the Downtown Littleton skyline.
One of the older buildings in Littleton, the mill is timber frame with corrugated metal cladding. The elevator’s second story and bins are stacked wood construction. The elevator has a gabled roof and series of one story, flat roof additions to the west. The structure was originally used as a grain elevator for storage and shipping for the Rough and Ready Flour Mill. At the time, it was the only grain elevator for western Arapahoe County and Douglas County.
In 1918, the building was purchased by the Columbine Grange of Littleton, which soon became the Columbine Mercantile Company. The Denver & Rio Grande Railroad ran a spur line to the elevator. By 1921, almost 64,000 bushels of wheat were shipped out of the mill. In 1975, after a series of owners, the building became vacant. Since 1979, a series of restaurants has attempted to occupy the building with minimal success.
Finally, in 1994, the City of Littleton designated the old Columbine Mill a historic landmark, acquired a grant from the State Historic Fund for restoration and, with new owners, converted it into a microbrewery and restaurant. The brewery and restaurant closed in 2015.
Learn more about the Columbine Mill here: Columbine Mill, littletongov.org.