Littleton received its first postmark on April 8, 1869. Richard Little, who later platted the Town of Littleton, was its first postmaster. The Littleton Post Office building is located in a prominent location in downtown Littleton at the northwest corner of West Alamo Avenue and South Prince Street. The one-story red-brown brick post office with a full basement and side-gable roof was built in 1939 in the Colonial Revival style. During the first half of the 20th century, Colonial Revival style was ubiquitous in post office design throughout the country. The years around 1940 saw construction of a great number of Colonial Revival post offices.
In 1962, the one-story brick and cast stone building was expanded with an L-shaped addition on the west and north sides of the building. The addition matches the materials and Colonial Revival style of the original 1939 structure. A wood cupola is centered on the roofline above the main entrance.
The Littleton Post Office, still in use today, was built for $58,700 with Work Progress Administration (WPA) funds. It was the major public works project of the Depression era in Littleton. The Littleton Post Office was dedicated on Armistice Day, Nov. 11, 1939. U.S. Congressman Fred Cummings, who represented the Littleton area, gave the principal address at the dedication. Postmaster Willard Teller provided the welcome, Mayor Louthan grandly accepted the building into Littleton, and the Littleton High School band provided music for the occasion.
In 1948, the Littleton Post Office had 20 employees and served three rural routes, one star route, a city route, and two city carriers. This was just before the rapid growth of the City started in the early 1950s.
The Littleton Post Office was listed on the National Register of Historic Places and the Colorado State Register of Historic Properties in 2019. It was designated a Littleton historic landmark in 2020. The building is significant for its association with President Franklin Roosevelt’s New Deal as a project of the Works Progress Administration (WPA). The Post Office is significant as an example of a Colonial Revival style public building. The United States Post Office, City of Littleton, and Historic Littleton, Inc., held a formal dedication ceremony on Nov. 9, 2019, with great fanfare from the community. The post office has been serving the community from this location for more than 80 years.
Learn more about the Littleton Post Office here: showpublisheddocument, littletongov.org.