HOT TOPICS
Read More

2450 W Main St Townhall Detail 1 fb Mike Yost_ss
2450 W Main St Townhall Detail fb Mike Yost
2450 W Main St Townhall detail 1 fb Mike Yost
2450 W Main Town Hall facade fb Mike Yost_ss
2450 W Main St Townhall detail fb Mike Yost_ss
2450 W Main St Townhall night picture fb Mike Yost_ss
2450 W main town hall mural_ss
2450 W Main St Townhall Detail 1 fb Mike Yost_ss 2450 W Main St Townhall Detail fb Mike Yost 2450 W Main St Townhall detail 1 fb Mike Yost 2450 W Main Town Hall facade fb Mike Yost_ss 2450 W Main St Townhall detail fb Mike Yost_ss 2450 W Main St Townhall night picture fb Mike Yost_ss 2450 W main town hall mural_ss

This historic and signature landmark sits in the heart of Downtown Littleton at 2450 W. Main St. Jules Jacques Benois Benedict, a French architect who studied at the Beaux-Arts School in Paris, designed the building. He gained renown in Denver and Littleton, where he also designed the Carnegie Library (1917) and the first Presbyterian Church (1929).

Constructed in 1920, the Italian Renaissance style structure was designed for a town with a population of 1,600. Yet the building served its purpose as Littleton’s Town Hall for 57 years until 1977. The second story boasts beautifully molded terra cotta in seven horizontal bands, eagles appear over the lancet points of the windows, and the Colorado state flower (the columbine) is found in the seven bands. Benedict, a highly practical architect, was aware of the constraints of the City’s budget. He obtained the terra cotta at cost from the Denver Terra Cotta Company, which sent men to oversee its installation free of charge. Benedict even purchased the two exterior cast iron lamps for the building when the City could not afford it. When completed, a national planning publication declared the building the “finest town hall for a small American town.”

In 1983, the building was renovated into the highly successful Town Hall Arts Center, a theater that is truly the epicenter of the city’s culture and heritage. The Town Hall was officially declared a historic landmark by the City of Littleton in 1973. In 1980, Town Hall was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is a contributing structure to the Littleton Main Street National Register of Historic Places District, listed on April 8, 1998. The Town Hall was added to the Littleton Main Street Historic District in 2005 as a contributing building.

Learn more about the Town Hall here: Town Hall, littletongov.org.