The Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad Depot was built in 1888 to accommodate the first Santa Fe railroad line, which had reached Littleton the year before. The depot was first located along the tracks, north of the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad Depot.
The vernacular, wooden frame building in the Railroad style was similar to other railroad depots, with board-and-batten siding and a bay ticket window facing the railroad tracks. The gabled roof features eaves that hang over the walls to provide waiting passengers shelter from the rain.
The depot was closed in 1967, donated to the City, and moved to Rio Grande Park (now Bega Park) to be displayed with other historic buildings, such as the original 1865 log schoolhouse (now located at the Littleton Museum). That same year, the depot was restored and moved to its current location at 2069 W. Powers Ave. The building, which retains its original double hung windows, is now Littleton’s Depot Art Gallery. The vintage caboose from 1898, originally owned by Colorado & Southern Railroad, was donated to
Littleton and placed on rails next to the depot in 1979.
Littleton designated the depot a Historic Landmark in 1973, and the building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.
Learn more about the AT & SF Depot here: Atchison, Topeka & Sante Fe Railroad Depot, littletongov.org.