Built around 1906, the Duncan House is thought to have been constructed by Joseph L. Hill, who moved to Colorado in 1875. (There is some speculation about whether Mr. Hill was the original builder.) The house located at 5503 S. Prince St. is on land once owned by the founder of Littleton, Richard Little.
In 1890, Frank and Louisa Duncan moved to Colorado, where Louisa managed a boarding house. Sixteen years later, Frank Duncan ran his own restaurant on Littleton’s Main Street. Around 1906, the Duncans moved into the home that carries their family name. Some of the more notable Queen Anne Style architectural elements include a bay window with a gabled dormer on the south side of the home, variegated decorative shingles on the front of the gabled roof, and lace-like brackets adorning the porch supports.
The home was restored to its original, turn-of-the-century beauty in 1993 by owners Vicky and Peggy Munroe. At the time, the Littleton Museum venerated the work as “a premier example of how an historic building should be restored.”
The City of Littleton designated the Duncan House a Historic Landmark in 1995.