The Franzen House is significant as a representative of the Victorian Queen Anne style houses built in Littleton during the late 19th century. The style is reflected in the house’s steeply pitched roof, porch with spindle supports, and walls clad with wood lap siding and shingles. It is within the boundaries of the Downtown Littleton Main Street Historic District.
German-born Cornelius Franzen married Louise Theys in Denver in 1900, and they moved into this home in 1902. By 1905, Cornelius operated the First and Last Chance Saloon—with Tivoli beer on tap—on the corner of Main and South Syracuse Streets, two lots south of their residence. In 1920, he built a small brick grocery store on the lot between their house and the saloon. By that time, he and Louise had added two sons, Carl and Clark, to their family. The Franzens lived in this house through at least 1939. Sometime during recent decades, the house was connected to the historic grocery store building immediately to the south.