This Historic Landmark is important for its association with Robert Spotswood, a well-known stage driver in Colorado’s early days. Spotswood was born in Virginia and traveled west as a stage wagonmaster, making trips among Kansas, Denver, and Salt Lake City. He joined the Overland Stage Company as a messenger and was later promoted to superintendent of the Julesburg division. In 1879, he purchased 520 acres of land near Bear Creek, which later became the site of Fort Logan.
Spotswood was an involved member of the Littleton community, serving on the Town Board and on the Rough and Ready Flour Mill Board. He developed a business block at the southeast corner of Curtice and Main Streets, and he built a stock farm on the west side of the South Platte River in what is now the Columbine Country Club.
The Spotswood House is representative of late 19th-century architecture with Queen Anne features that include a gabled roof with overhanging eaves and shingled gable faces.
The house was designated as a Littleton Landmark in 2003.
Learn more about the Spotswood family here: Spotswood Family, littletongov.org